2.24.2006

Enough Offense for Every Christian

The latest article at the Da Vinci Dialogue, written by Thomas P. Rausch (Professor of Catholic Theology at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles), really comes to the defense of Roman Catholics. His basic tenet is, as I read it: "Hey, Dan Brown slimed us Protestants, too!" Very sympathetic. Here's a snip:
Dan Brown’s book The Da Vinci Code is clearly anti-Catholic. It portrays the Catholic Church as the enemy of truth, hijacking Jesus’ message, hiding evidence, engaging in a deliberate campaign of disinformation, and supporting Opus Dei as a sinister international Catholic organization not above using violence and assassination to accomplish its goals. All of which is clearly false. But Brown’s real target is the historic Christian faith which the Catholic Church formulated in its councils...
MORE HERE
Da Vinci Dialogue, 24.02.06

2 Comments:

Blogger STATE OF THE ART: Reviews by Jim Davis said...

My son gave me a copy of "The Da Vinci Code" last year as a Christmas present (sort of ironic?!!) - and although I don't normally read novels I enjoyed this book. Although the content is clearly (at least to me) inaccurate on many points - the reading was very entertaining - and I found myself not wanting to put the book down. Well written and good story telling - and on top of all of this a controversial book (understatement).

It seemed like there was so much talk about this book in so many arenas of pop culture - and rather than run and hide (the old head in the sand routine that believers are sometimes guilty of) I enjoyed the opportunity to have an open and active dialouge with several individuals.

I am looking forward to the renewed focus on the book that the upcoming Ron Howard directed movie is already bringing (and have also enjoyed another one of author Dan Brown's books, "Angels & Demons").

21:47  
Blogger Greg Wright said...

Yeah, I actually found it to be a pretty compelling page-turner, too. Like the skyline background in the Mona Lisa, I believe the "errors" in Brown's narrative are the "clues" to his underlying meaning.

Dan Brown doesn't believe Leigh Teabing's conspiratorial ramblings any more than he believes those of the church.

06:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home