4.01.2006

A Slow News Week

Gosh. After that big flurry of activity over the court case, this week turned out to be pretty boring. Here's a roundup of the most interesting stories I ran across:

The Christian Examiner reported on Lee Strobel's position against Da Vinci Code protests: "I just think that that's not productive. ... I can understand it, because when I read The Da Vinci Code I got mad, because it's saying that my faith is based on a fraud. But then I thought, ‘Wait a minute, my anger is not going to help too much. How can I use this for good? How can I do what the story of Joseph tells us in Genesis, where God took something that was intended for ill and turned it for good?’"

Catholic Online reported on efforts by The American Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family and Property to "gather at least 100,000 protest letters and e-mails before May 19, when the blasphemous film is scheduled to hit theaters across the country." The article quotes America Needs Fatima director Robert Ritchie as saying, "As faithful sons and daughters of the Church, it’s our duty to defend the honor of Our Lord whenever He is blasphemed. ... And since The Da Vinci Code is a public blasphemy, our reparation and protest should be public."

Christian Newswire carried a press release from Focus on the Family, whose director of teen apologetics, Alex McFarland, was quote as sayin, "We realize that we won't be able to stop people from seeing this film, but we can be prepared to answer their questions. ... Entertainment media has the ability to change history. Oliver Stone's JFK altered the way a generation viewed the Kennedy assassination; The Da Vinci Code may change the way future generations view Christianity. Christians need to be educated and ready to respond to the critical questions millions will be asking."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home